Weekend Roundup: 1/4 Finals Here We Come!

This weekend just gone saw your Go Goodwins sponsored Manchester Storm take to the ice against the Edinburgh Capitals on the Saturday, before heading south, to take on the Coventry Blaze on Sunday the 1st, in Challenge Cup action.
On Saturday the 31st, the Go Goodwin sponsored Manchester Storm welcomed the Edinburgh Capitals to the Storm Shelter, with the fans dressed up in some fantastic halloween outfits. The Storm took to the ice a few players down, as latest signing Devin Didiomete was awaiting some final paperwork being signed off, while Vinny Scarsella was out ill and Davy Phillips was still suffering for a hit he took the week before. The game couldn’t have started better for the Manchester Storm as within 33s of play in the 1st, Matt Caria put the Storm 1-0 up thanks to a brilliant tic tac toe pass from Mathew Sisca and Luke Salazar. 12 minutes later the score was doubled after Caria and Sisca passed the puck in fantastic style to allow Paul Phillips to grab goal number 2 of the night, and his second of the season. The Second period faired a little better for the visitors, with the Capitals getting on the score sheet just under 4 minutes into the 2nd. The third period however, was where the Storm put the game to bed, and that began with a beautiful goal by Matt Sisca early in the period. Capitals, however get up the pressure and score their 2nd of the night only moment later. With the score line 3-2, the Storm gave everything they had – and were rewarded for their efforts thanks to a another two goals: one from Matt Caria and one for Matt Sisca, who had a hand in every one of Storms goals of the evening. Final score, Manchester Storm 5-2 Edinburgh Capitals.
Sunday the 1st, saw the Go Goodwin sponsored Manchester Storm head south to the Coventry Blaze. The Blaze were coming off the back of a 6-4 defeat away to the Cardiff Devils. With both teams tied with 2 points in the round robin stage of the Challenge Cup, who ever won tonight would progress into the cup quarterfinals. Both teams were short benched, however Vinny Scarsella of the Storm was able to overcome his illness from the night before and dress for the Storm. The play during the game was end to end, with both teams missing some golden chances to put themselves ahead. It took until the middle of the second period for Storm to become the first team to get onto the score sheet thanks to a goal by Matt Caria after 36 minutes of play. The Blaze pushed for the equaliser but were unable to do so. The third began much the same as the res of the game, both teams going for goal, and both net minders pulling of fantastic saves to deny either team. Storm doubled their lead thanks to a power play goal from Player Coach Omar Pacha. Blaze continued to push, and even pulled their net mind from his net with 3 minutes left on the clock to score. It paid off for the Blaze, as with 2:09 left on the clock Blaze scored thanks to Robertson hammering the goal home. With their lead halved and the Blaze still with an extra man as they kept their netminder off the ice, the Storm pushed hard for the empty net goal, which finally came thanks to Luke Salazar, with 46 seconds left on the clock. Final score, Coventry Blaze 1-3 Manchester Storm, and with that the Storm not only got into the 1/4 finals of the challenge cup, but also claimed their first victory on the road.
This week the Manchester Storm are on the road to start with, with a trip to the Cardiff Devils on Saturday the 7th, before returning home to take on the Belfast Giants on Sunday the 8th October in their Armed Forces Night. As part of the night all armed forces personnel, veterans, reservists and cadets will receive entry to the game against the Giants for £5.00.