Weekend Roundup – Capitals kept at bay

The Go Goodwins sponsored Manchester Storm claimed their 3rd win of the Elite Ice Hockey League season against conference rivals, the Edinburgh Capitals, before losing the following night at the Capitals home – the Murrayfield Ice Rink. The Capitals came to the Storm Shelter as one of the leagues hottest teams – pulling off a 6-2 win over last seasons league runners up, the Braehead Clan, the weekend before.

Saturday saw the Go Goodwins sponsored Manchester Storm welcome the Edinburgh Capitals to the Altrincham Ice Rink, in EIHL action. Storm started the game on the back foot, with the Capitals dominating the ice in the first period of play. Within the first 2 minutes, the Capitals were 1-0 up thanks to a power play goal scored by Taylor Dickin, scoring his 3rd of the season. With 14 minutes gone in the first period, Storm’s Davy Phillips found himself on the receiving end of Kyle Bigos’s fist as the Capitals american import took exception to Phillips altercation with the Capitals netminder a few seconds earlier. For his efforts, Bigos was awarded a fighting penalty, resulting in him being ejected from the match, and this also meant he’d miss the following nights game too.

The Manchester Storm however came out flying in the 2nd period, and were taking the vast majority of chances they had. Capitals netminder, Carsen Chubak was able to deal with the vast majority of these shots, however with less than 3 minutes to go in the 2nd, Matt Sisca scored his 6th of the season to tie the score at 1-1. The Storm started the third well, and the Capitals began to show signs of fatigue. While on the power play, Storm were put a goal ahead thanks to a shot from Vinnie Scarsella. The Storm kept pushing for the rest of the period, and were certainly the better team – but due to a neutral ice turn over, the Capitals, against the run of play, were able to tie things up at 2-2 with 9 minutes remaining on the clock. The final buzzer went, and both teams went to a 5min golden goal over time. Both teams had some fantastic chances, and Storm hit the post twice, but were unable to find the back of the net. As the overtime came to an end, both teams prepared for a best of 3 penalty shoot out. Zane Kalemba, who had been having a fantastic game in net for the Storm, pulled off 3 fantastic saves to deny the Capitals any goals. Storms Luke Salazar was able to slot home for the Storm, meaning Manchester Storm won 3-2.

On Sunday, the 11th of October, the Manchester Storm traveled north of the border to the Scottish capital to take on the Edinburgh Capitals at the Murrayfield Ice Rink. The Storm started the game well, and were on the power play within the first 5 minutes. Luke Salazar, the penalty shot hero from the previous night, took full advantage of the power play for the Storm and scored just after 6 minutes had gone to give Storm a 1 goal lead. The Capitals, spurred on by their vocal supporters, ensured the Storm weren’t ahead for long and equalised 10 minutes later. The end of the first saw both teams end up in a bit of a scuffle and the Capitals saw Kyle Flemington ejected from the game for being the “3rd man” into a fight. Davy Phillips took a few heavy punches to the head and had to sit the remainder of the game out injured. The Second period saw the Capitals take a 2 goal lead within the first 10 minutes of the period, before Luke Salazar once again got his name on the scorecard to half the Capitals lead. 3 minutes later, Patrik Valcak of the Storm netted his 1st of the season to tie the game up 3 goals each. However, just before the end of the 3rd, and with less than a minute to play in the period the Capitals regained the lead due to a power play goal by Ryan Hayes. The 3rd period saw the Capitals come out with the win on their minds, and Jacob Johnson scored to put the Capitals 2 goals ahead once again with 8 minutes left in the game. The Storm however never gave up, and 2 minutes later Valcak scored his second of the season. The Storm pushed and pushed for the 5th goal, pulling Zane Kalemba from the net to give them an extra attacker with 2 minutes to go… but the capitals defence, lead by an outstanding Chubak in net, denied them the chance. Final score: Edinburgh Capitals 5-4 Manchester Storm.

This coming week sees the Manchester Storm playing three times, twice on the road and once at home. The Storm head to Glasgow on Thursday to face the Braehead Clan, before returning home on Saturday the 17th to face the Coventry Blaze. They then head up to Scotland once again to face the Dundee Stars on the Sunday night. Get your tickets today from the BOX OFFICE on 08700-852-929 or online via www.manchesterstorm.com. Bring your friends, family & work colleagues along and introduce them to the fastest sport on the planet!! #Storm