The recently crowned Elite League Champions, the Sheffield Steelers, were the visitors to the Storm Shelter on Sunday evening. Sheffield may have secured the league title, but Head Coach Matt Ginn and the squad were looking to finish strong, secure fourth place and head into the Playoff Quarter Finals full of confidence.

The Storm were gifted an early powerplay opportunity within the opening five minutes after Nevalainen was called for a delay of game minor. Storm took full advantage of the extra time and space finishing through Murphy who combined nicely with Tremblay to treat the packed home crowd to a dream start. Storm continued to press the Steelers, creating some good looks on net. The visitors were the next goalscorers however. An odd man rush following a turn over in the neutral zone saw Watling finishing after a cross ice pass from Balmas left Weninger with too much net to try and cover.

Sheffield had the better chances thereafter but failed to convert meaning the period ended all square at one apiece. Again the Storm lit the lamp early in the period when Corneil won the puck back at the corner boards and drove to the net, converting cooly on the backhand from close range. The Steelers tied things up on their next powerplay, working the puck around the zone nicely, culminating in a pass that unfortunately deflected in off the leg of Garcia – Harper being awarded the goal. The visitors took the lead not long after as a screened shot from Simpson at the hash marks found its way past Weninger. With just twenty seconds left in the period the Steelers found themselves on the powerplay once again and made it count as Watling beat Weninger for the second time to put his team up by two heading into the second intermission. A tough start to the third period saw the home team having to kill off a full two minutes of a 5v3 penalty, which they did against Sheffield’s strong powerplay.

A shift in momentum was visible as the Storm had some better chances in the offensive zone. This pressure paid dividends when Fryer, assisted by Corneil, made it a one game goal with ten minutes remaining. The crowd erupted with just three minutes left when Morrow fired a rocket past Morrone to tie the game at four all – a powerplay goal assisted by Farley and Critchlow. A further 5 minutes was needed to decide the winner and it was the Steelers who found the goal to secure the extra point.