Match Report: Storm 4-5 Coventry Blaze (OT)

TICKETS: The Go Goodwin’s Manchester Storm are back in action on Saturday 11th February as we face the Fife Flyers in EIHL action. Faceoff is at 7 pm and tickets can be ordered online, by calling the box office on 0161 926 8782, or in person at the box office!

Your Go Goodwins Manchester Storm took the game all the way to 3on3 sudden death over time, but ultimately fell to the Coventry Blaze 5-4, despite coming back from being 0-2 down at the end of the first.


The Storm came out of the locker room flying in the first period, dominating the play for the first 12 minutes of the period. Shot after shot from the Storm saw Brian Stewart pull off some fantastic saves, as the hosts dominated the opening proceedings, however it was the visitors who would take the lead, when Ashley Tait converted from Bergmans pass with 11:51 left to play in the opening period. The Blaze began to pick up pace, and following another penalty kill they were able to double their lead when Ross Venus converted off of a Tait pass, moments after leaving the penalty box, with 2:44 left to play in the 1st!


The second period saw the Storm on the back foot for much of the first 10 minutes, with the Blaze causing plenty of problems for the home side. Storm finally found the back of the net with 12:05 left to play in the 2nd, when Darian Dziurzynski slotted past Brian Stewart in the Blaze net, from a superb Eric Neilson pass! The Storm continued to build momentum on the ice, with plenty of shots being fired at the Coventry net. However, and against the flow of play once again, the Blaze restored their 2 goal lead 35s from time in the middle stanza, when Barry Almeida snook one past Clemente in the Storm net.


Following the second period interval, the Storm came out the locker room fired up & it was Matt Bissonnette who cut the Blaze lead to one whilst the Storm were on the PP with 16:32 to go in the period. Just 33 seconds later Patrik Valcak was able to tip one in thanks to a pass from Taylor Dickin, to tie the game up 3 a piece. The Blaze were able to restore their lead with 14:27 to go in the period, when Marc Cantin slotted home, much to the delight of the vocal travelling Blaze fans. Again, the Storm kept going & they got rewarded for their efforts by tying up the game once again, with 10:17 left in the period, Dallas Ehrhardt the man able to grab a stunning goal, to send the Storm Shelter wild!


With the scores tied, and the clock ticking down, Storm had to weather a consistent Blaze attack that was relentless. Hearts and breath were held by the Storm Shelter, when Blaze nearly scored a game-winning goal. At the sound of the final buzzer, the teams were both guaranteed a point, but with one more to play for in 3 on 3, we headed to sudden death over time!

However, the fairytale comeback was not to be, as after 39 seconds, the Blaze were able to score the game-winning goal when Almedia netted his second of the night!

The Storm will brush themselves off, and look ahead to tomorrow’s game against table topping the Cardiff Devils, who beat the Nottingham Panthers this evening 4-3, before heading north to the Braehead Clan on Wednesday for a vital confrence game!