A pulsating affair between the Storm and Steelers saw the visitors outlast their hosts with the 5-3 victory. An excellent start by the Storm saw them jump into an early lead.

The aggressive forecheck trapped the puck in the Steelers zone and a well-worked attacking move freed Corneil to tap-in from atop off the crease, just 61 seconds into the game. A heavyweight clash at centre ice between Dallas Ehrhardt and Kevin Tansey added the usual spice to any encounter between the historic rivals, as the former to umbrage to a heavy hit. Despite the possession and majority of scoring chances favouring the hosts, Sheffield would draw level through the familiar figure of Vallerand, in the 16th minute, on the powerplay.

In a similar vein to the Steelers last trip to the Shelter, this goal before the intermission proved decisive in turning the game’s momentum. In the 22nd minute, the Storm were unable to clear their defensive zone and Nicholls would make them pay the ultimate price with a finish between the wickets of Weninger. Before the midway point, Sheffield would score their third goal with a bar-down snip from Nicholls, whose impressive middle stanza burst blew open proceedings and put pressure on the Storm to respond in the final period.

The hosts shot out the blocks in the third period and deservedly scored their second of evening in the 45th minute. A deflected shot on the Steelers net was followed up effectively by Corneil, who lifted a backhand shot into the goal, as Greenfield lay sprawled on the ice after making the initial stop. A raucous Shelter buoyed by the chance of toppling the league leaders evidently lifted the bench, as the pressure mounted infront of the Sheffield net. Another backhand, this time off the stick of Phillips, levelled proceedings in the 49th minute who skated smoothly down the lane before picking his spot. However, an unfortunate deflection took the puck beyond Weninger to hand Sheffield a slender one-goal advantage with just over seven minutes remaining in the match.

The aggressive move to pull the netminder with 2:30 left in the game on this occasion did not favour the Storm, as almost immediately Juusola eased the puck into the vacant goal.